What Fred Taught Me…Part 1
Who wouldn’t fall in love with this guy?
Right before the holidays, I was a bundle of nerves. I was about to foster (and possibly adopt) Bully Project‘s Fred. It was love at first sight. I spent a lot of time with him, watching him in lots of situations. Since I have smaller dogs, and an older dog and a cat, I needed to know a lot about any new canine that becomes part of my family – even just temporarily. Plus the terriers, are well, terrorsterriers!
Fred proved to be the perfect candidate. Because of timing and location logistics, I only had one opportunity to introduce one of my dogs to him before he went to his first short term foster. I chose Bird, the medium scruffy terrier, thinking she had the most to say about things like this. She didn’t want to walk down the aisle with him but also didn’t think he was a serial killer. Good enough for Bird. Good enough for me.
So, on a lovely Sunday afternoon, Fred came to live with us. Within days hours, I learned this:
1. Pitbulls (especially Fred) are the biggest snugglers!
2. Fred was loved. He might have been abandoned in a house but at some point, someone showed him love, taught him manners and cared for him. Even if he had the most cropped ears! (A comment I heard so many times!)
3. Fred loved meeting the local butcher for his Knucklebones!
4. Fred was very patient with his new household. Never pushy, always waiting his turn.
5. Fred could make anyone smile on a walk! And, made friends of all ages.
6. Pitbulls can be great dogs at the dog park. Just like with any dog, an owner should be responsible.
7. People might give you the stink eye when you walk into a dog park with a pittie.
8. Once you go pittie, you never go back!
More to come…